Monday, May 19, 2008

Have you tried Kalamay Duman?

After an afternoon powernap, I urged my wife to drop by Susie's Delicacies as I was suddenly craving for pancit palabok. We got up and the kids and drove down to Dau to get a merienda munch.

Actually, what was on my mind was not just to eat palabok but to again have a taste of the new "Kalamay Duman". We went to the original Susie's store in Angeles and found out about it. However the first time I tasted it, to be honest, I was a bit disappointed. Thinking that it might be caused by the kalamay being a new trest, I vowed that I would have a repeat to validate my gustatory theory....


I knew the smell especially the taste of the special green rice since I grew up having it as an afternoon treat. Well not that frequent, but at least I could still recall every flavor. I remember my grandma would buy 2 servings of duman from peddlers within the Holy Rosary Church compound after mass. So that experience I used to test Susie's experiment...

Alas, it confirmed my initial theory. It was sad to admit that the flavor of the green rice was lost. That particular aroma and taste, it was not there! After repeated tasting and scavenging the delicacy, I think I found the reason why....




The kalamay was probably mixed with heavy coconut milk and the oil of the "Latik" (fried coconut milk) was just too much and overpowered the delicate aroma and flavor of the duman. It was in fact "Kalamay" and intended to be that way. Not special.


I hope someone out there could use this observation to create a unique recipe that would allow the Duman to shine. If so, I definitely would like to try it. I'd give you my honest to goodness feedback for free. Deal?

So in the end, I just savored the palabok to ease my dissatisfaction... hmmmm nice chicaron chunks. hehehe

I had my fill for the day.....

No comments: